Fervens Theme

Fervens is the name for the new theme i made for my friends from Smashing Magazine. What is Fervens and what does it mean? As you might know, I give all my themes Latin names because I believe they are more practical and more brandable.  They just feel right to me.

Fervens is a 3 column theme that has a base idea of “freshness”. Summer is my favorite time of year as it always amazes us with a rainbow of sensation and colors, making this time of year the best of all.  The green of the plants and trees, the blue of the water….I love this time of year :)

I tried with this new theme to get something from that “freshness” and make it work on the web, specifically on wordpress, my favorite(and hands down the greatest) blog platform. Because I couldn’t agree with Vitaly regarding the column positions we decided to make 3 versions of it, Fervens A (Sidebar 1, Central Column, Sidebar 2), Fervens B (Sidebar 1, Sidebar 2, Central Column) and Fervens C (Central Column, Sidebar 2, Sidebar 1).

Main features of the theme

• 3 columns of fixed width
  • widget-ready ‘” two sidebars (both sidebars are supporting widgets, but I recommend to use the smaler one.
  • the theme is using 3 plugins; 2 of them are integrated into functions.php, so there is no need to install them. These plugins are Gravatar, Recent Comments and FlickrRSS. You can use the last one to present your Flickr images in a Flickr Photostream (see the demo).

Download the themes for free!

You can use the theme for all your projects for free and without any restrictions. However, it’s forbidden to sell or redistribute the theme without both designer’s and Smashing Magazine’s permission ‘” please link to this article if you would like to spread the word. You may modify the theme as you wish, but if you are planning to release your modification, please ask for a permission first.

Fervens B WordPress Theme

Fervens A WordPress Theme

Fervens C WordPress Theme

Enjoy.

@Update 08.09.2008

The flickr rss is not running propperly.

Go on Administration Panel > Settings > flickrRSS and you will see 2 inputs for HTML Wrapper.
Place in the first box <li> and close it in the second one </li>

286 responses to “Fervens Theme”

1. so nice theme.
    thanks..

2. Un tema muy interezante que usare en un nuevo Blog

3. Shain says:

I lovin it really awesome

4. Sweet says:

thanks ! I like the theme which you are using now. My english is poor! Sorry!

5. Angela Leeds says:

Hi,

I’ve installed the Fervens-C theme on four of my blogs, but I do not know how to modify the “About” text in the 2nd sidebar — currently it has the default text from the theme.

Please advise. Certainly looks stupid hanging out there on my website. :D

Thanks!
    Angela Leeds

6. Angela Leeds says:

Also, how does one comment out/change the color theme for the 2nd sidebar? Which code needs to be changed and in what file?

I tried doing it piecemeal in the CSS, but I couldn’t find all the bits that needed to be changed, only a few…

7. Everything has been perfect for me, other than the paragraph spacing in the comments. Can someone help me bump it up to increase it? Just point me at the right CSS snippet and I can take it from there. :)

Thank you!

8. real estate says:

You’re kidding me right? This superb template is free. Man what a beautiful creative effort!. I’ve seen premium templates for a hundred bucks that aren’t as good as yours.

A totally commendable effort, well done.

Andrew
    Australia

9. Kim says:

Hi – I want to remove the left hand side bar but where do I go to extend the actual posting area out to the edge ?

Thank you!

10. Hi there,

I’m using Fervens-A and love it! The only problem is I need the middle column to be wide enough to fit an embeddable player of 500px. I dug thru the CSS a bit but I’m not the best with this stuff so I was hoping you could help me with this one.

Thanks in advance!
    Adam

11. Hawagerma says:

Интересный блог, подписался на rss.

12. Hawagerma says:

круто

13. UseNext says:

Hi, wonderful theme. Thank you for that! It is really amazon.
    I just recently had it installed on my blog runterladen-kostenlos.de .
    I heard there is a new version called Perfection theme from Premium Themes. Is that right? I think it is beautiful and 79 Dollar is surely worth it but too much for myself, otherweise I would use it.

14. hiwatarigie says:

Very nice theme.
    And free’¦ :)

can it use for blogspot?
    i like it… :)

What about if convert it to blogspot? :)

15. hiwatarigie says:

can you convert this theme for blogger? :)

16. Alban says:

Thank you for this themes! I’m using the Fervens C, which I modified a bit, and it works perfectly, so fresh and beautifull!!! Thanks!!

17. error:
    home/grunia/public_html/wp-content/themes/ferevens-a/functions.php:60) in /home/grunia/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp_gravatar/gravatar.php

??

18. Andrea says:

What is wrong on links.php and why I can’t create or see a Links page? I mean, the code is there, but looks funny…

19. I am using Fervens-C – and it is great…I believe I am missing something though… I am using feedburner for my RSS feeds, and would like for my whole posts to display there…I believe I have the settings correct in wordpress, but it only displays a couple of lines from my posts… what am I missing? Thanks!! TMB

20. I’ve figured out how to modify its width for those who are wondering.
    Here’s the tutorial:

Happy modifying. This theme rules.

21. kutez says:

@admin
    I’ve just installed this theme and compositio on my self-hosted wordpress blog (v2.7) and in both themes, my sidebars are pushed under the middle column..

So they sort of become footer-bars… Can you guess what’s wrong?

22. kutez says:

@admin
    update: I’ve just noticed that the problem occurs only on the home page. In all other pages, the theme is displayed flawlessly. Now I’m puzzled.

If I open any given article, the theme falls back into place. Whenever I get back to the home page, the sidebars are shifted under the middle column.
    Thanks for this fantastic theme!

23. Palau says:

Wonderful theme indeed! Thanks for creating it ;)

24. Karin says:

Hi, I’m loving this theme! So well made and so great to look at. I’d like to modify it to include some images – I’d like to have an owl peeking out above the Search panel (in Fervens-a). I’ve tried just modifying the image (search-top.png), adding my owl and making the image taller, but it doesn’t show. Have tried to work out what is what in the stylesheets but can’t work it out. Basically I can’t change this background image to one with different dimensions. I’d be really grateful for any tips!

25. Simploo GmbH says:

We have done a few modifications on your fervens c theme for a german cms glossar based on wordpress.

You can see the blog under … (username/password for the preview site: einfach/einfach).

We’re looking forward for your permission to release the customized theme.

Best greetings and thanks!

26. Andrea says:

I use Fervens A and love it! Just one problem…

Is anyone else having a problem creating captions when inserting images into the post? When I insert a image without a caption, I get a nice frame. When I insert a caption, the frame disappears and the caption is intermingled with the text. It’s hard to distinguish. Does anyone know how to fix this?

27. peter says:

Fervens is one of my favorite theme. Most I like from this time is its color and customizable for the sidebar position.

28. medyum says:

Thanks for your wonderful work!
    Just amazing.

I cannot really use it as the fixed width nd the laaaarge sidebars make long articles very hard to read.

Fluid width is not possible I guess’¦

29. radyo dinle says:

This is a great theme especially for people like me who are new to blogging and don’t want to deal too much with complicated configurations.

Only one question, how do I make it so not my entire blog shows up on the homepage. I want it say read more or continue reading. Some posts can get large with multiple pictures.

Again Great Themes’¦Thanks!!

30. Grady Bauer says:

Great theme! How do I replace the title in the header with an logo? And what size would I need to make the logo?

31. Hi, wonderful theme. Thank you for that! It is really amazon.
    I just recently had it installed on my blog runterladen-kostenlos.de .

32. I feel dumb for asking this’¦ but hopefully you can steer me in the right direction.

I love this theme ‘“ so much so that I am attempting to switch from blogger to word press to use it. I would love to use this theme on my newly created word press blog. How do I do this? It looks like I cannot upload files to word press. Do I need to host it somewhere else?

Thanks for your time.

33. tedd says:

help! the site is stick to the left side. I’m not handy with php coding. what should i do?? please take a look at the site and give some advice

34. alhakim says:

Nice Theme, will use it when I already host my own blog.

35. medyum says:

its been a year im using the smashing theme, and i really satisfied with it. beautiful color and design, even a color blind person like me know how to appreciate it.
    i really love 3 column theme that you made, easy for me to install wiget big or small, no need to mess up with coding after all.
    this new theme fervens also mesmerizing me, can’t wait to use it.
    keep on ur good work, elena.

36. Ryan Bayne says:

Hey,

Thanks for a great theme but can it be made liquid layout?

I did give it a go but a div that wraps around the left sidebar and then content causes the right sidebar to drop down on a liquid layout when browser window is made small.

This is at client request so if someone provides an exact way to do this I’ll just forward cash to you as a donation. I’m interested in helping my client get this done more than the money right now.

ryan@webtechglobal.co.uk

Ryan

37. KD says:

Hi Elena,
    Must say this is now my favorite WP theme. Wonderful Thanks.

Need some small help. Can any one tell me how to customize the […] thing which comes when you click on archive or tags. I want to put an image there.

38. I love your site. :) Love design!!! I just came across your blog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. Sign: ndsam

39. yosh66 says:

Hi
    I just downloaded the theme and loving it so far.

Could anyone help me how I can have my own header for this theme.

Plus, can I make the post area width little wider?
    I want my post width 510px

Thank you!

40. drnyol says:

i want use wp-recaptcha for my blog with theme fervens A, but there aren’t recaptcha appear in comment form …. did fervens not support wp-recaptcha?? thx

41. mam says:

Perfect and easy to use and edit theme. I translated it into my language easly. Thank you.

42. Ivan says:

I love your comment form, it’s a very intuitive and visitor oriented one, really it appeals you to comment :) great job guys

43. Genduk says:

Awesome,
    very nice theme, love this.

44. Damon says:

Looked high and low for a theme with 125 x 125 and great design….hard to find. Thanks for all the hard work.

45. bedava izle says:

i want use wp-recaptcha for my blog with theme fervens A, but there aren’t recaptcha appear in comment form ‘¦. did fervens not support wp-recaptcha?? thx

46. Tatil says:

Hi there,

Thanks in advance!
    Tatil

47. sapphire says:

I love this theme but i don’t have line breaks working in the comments.

Does anyone have this problem and a fix for it?

You can visit my site and see the comments to get a better idea of the issue.

48. medyum says: