Smashing Theme

Many of us know and read Smashing Magazine. Last week SM had their First Anniversary celebration and Vitaly ask me to do a wordpress theme for this occasion. This was an honor for me and say thanks in a special way to this magazine for the content they provide.

I haven’t got so much time (around 4 days) but i came with an idea and did the theme. Vitaly asked me also to detail the creation process of this colorful theme. You will find that information on the release post on Smashing Magazine.

Smashing Magazine Theme

The Smashing theme has a plug-in integrated into the functions.php, so modifying this file you should have some basic knowledge about PHP. The theme is Widget Ready.

Last Update:  February 03 2009

108 responses to “Smashing Theme”

1. bob says:

Hello, is there a way to limit the homepage to show post_excerpt instead of the whole post?

I can’t find it anywhere and the whole posts are shown. :(

Thanks for the great work

2. Felicia says:

I love this theme, I’m trying to get it to work on my blog, but unfortunately I’m running into the colored boxes disappearing on the left sidebar again. I haven’t touched the source code. Is there a widget/plugin interfering?

3. Felicia says:

Gah, well I installed the theme with the same untouched files on another blog of mine and the left sidebar works fine. I deactivated all plugins, but the sidebar colors still aren’t showing up. I can’t understand it. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I really would love to use this theme on my blog!

4. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I really would love to use this theme on my blog!

5. Ange says:

I love this theme… have installed it and playing around!!

Thanks :)

6. Adem says:

Having problems with getting whole posts to appear on the main blog – only titles of my posts are showing up! How do I fix this?

7. Adem says:

Actually, even when I click the single link for a blog post no posts actually show up, just the comments :(

8. Silver says:

Hi, I’ve got the same problem as John (comment 55) & tom (comment 40), only the first character of any post is showing up. If an image was inserted, then the HTML character “

9. Silver says:

Oops sorry, I typed the HTML open bracket & that caused the rest of my comment to disappear.

Basically this problem only happened with WP 2.3.1, I had no problems with WP 2.3 before the upgrade. This was with a clean install of WP 2.3.1 and latest download of Smashing, with no files or settings changed at all.

Any fix would be appreciated as this is a lovely theme & I would really love to use it!

10. Anton says:

I’ve used it for my new idol site. Like it. Thanks Elena.

11. Thank you for the link! It definitely is an interesting paper, and I hope more researchers look into how such a system came about now that we have more details on how it works.

12. Marie says:

Love the theme!

I have created a custom header and I would like to apply it to the Smashing theme, but I am not sure how to edit the theme within WP. (I’ve been w/ Movable type for several years and just recently made the transition).

I tried editing the header.php file and ftp’ing it to the site, but was not successful.

Any suggestions?

13. danny says:

so i recently adopted this amazing theme for my blog and the only problem i have with it so far is that i want the default category listing to be alphabetical, not by category ID. I’ve tried a number of plugin’s but none seem to fix the problem. If I import my own sidebar widget of categories it screws everything up. Is there something easy I can change that will sort the categories alphabetically?

14. Thiru says:

COOL THEME I LIKE I AM TRYING TO USE BUT CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO ADD MY OWN LOGO UNDER THE STRIP AT THE TOP HEADERBFG.GIF???

PLZ HELP

15. james says:

Any news on a widget ready version? I love the theme and I’m trying to adapt it for use on my site but I need a widget-able version.

Thanks!

16. Cristian Ventura says:

I also have the problem of the “first character”/”first letter” in this theme; but i solved it.
    The solution is very simple:

This is the original code of “menu.php”

" href="/">Home
    ]+)>%U','', $pages);
    $pages = str_replace('
    ','', $pages);
    echo $pages; ?>

if you remplase “menu.php” for this code:

" href="/">Home
    ]+)>%U','', $pages);
    $pages = str_replace('
    ','', $pages);
    echo $pages;
    unset($pages); ?>

the bug is solved.

Maybe is a WordPress or even PHP bug… im new in PHP, but this works for me… ;-)

17. Cristian Ventura says:

oh, well… i cant post “code blocks” here… but… telling the solution in “easy mode”, put the line: unset($pages); in the first php code block, and remove the second php code block in menu.php, and the problem is solved…

And i forget it… :-)
    This is a really good theme. ;-)

18. Serdar says:

Very beatiful, thank you.

19. John says:

I just noticed something with the theme, I use tags heavily on my site, and for some reason when you view a tag, it doesn’t paginate any posts? It only shows the top ten posts for that tag. Anyone else having this issue?

20. darran Low says:

i am having an issue with the page issue, i don’t know why it is not recognizing the pagingate function, elena, do you have a solution?

21. Qmega says:

Great theme. I changed a bit this theme using Photoshop … take a look http://www.aaaod.com

22. chazzuka says:

I am experienced a blank content when using this theme

23. dada says:

hello elena,

as with everyone, i fell in love with your design. i just want to know how can i put a custom logo in the header, just like in the gossip city theme.

thanks and more power.

24. Manu says:

Elena,

How can I put a custom logo in the header…like the way it is in gossip city?

One more thing is that the first sidebar doesn’t have the colors that I saw in the demo……..it’s all in grey……please check out http://www.pointlesslycool.org and help me out with this! I need colors like it is in your smashing theme demo.

Thanks in advance. And by the way, the theme is fantastic! :)

Manu.

25. Manu says:

Hi Elena,

I just found that when i keep the left sidebar to default, it is doing fine. But when I drag and drop something to it, the whole sidebar changes to grey……..what do I do now?

Manu.

26. great theme , nice colors thanks’¦

27. benny says:

It’s very nice theme, which I used now,

But I really do not know how to make the avatar works in wp 2.5.

28. Hi i just want to say nice theme Elena, right now i am using it on my blog. Thank you for your creation

29. Niels says:

Hi, thanks for the beautiful template.

One question though, I get two errors when I try to validate the page with the w3c validator, could you check this?

30. Beena says:

It would be really nice if this is widget-ready…

31. amer says:

hi,
    i love it soo much thx :)
    i adore how its done. its simple & clean. i use it for my coming 1st website. MonstersCube.com.

32. charmian says:

Hey, I really love this theme! It’s very beautiful.

However, it seems to have a conflict with the WP Thread Comments plugin. When you try to reply to a comment in Ajax, the “submit post” button disappears. I think it may be something with the CSS.

33. erme2 says:

Hi! I translated it in italian

34. Fong says:

Hi there. Is there any way to make the colour boxes on the left sidebar show? I saw them working at http://www.pointlesslycool.org but there’s only one colour. Thanks for the beautiful theme and we would really appreciate your help.

35. prakash says:

it’s doesn’t seems to work for IMAGE CAPTION on wordpress 2.6.2
    is there any solution for it?

[caption id="" align="alignleft" width="158" caption="Test 1"]

[/caption]

36. gravator icon doesn’t displays on comments ??
    what is the problem do I need to use another plugins for the same.

37. thank you designdisease.

38. Dan Nash says:

Hi

Just started using the theme on one of my new blogs, but I ran into the “First Character” bug mentioned above.

There is a much simple fix.

In menu.php, find the line that reads…

…and change it to…

Worked straight away for me, posts showed up and blog working fine!

Great theme :)

39. Dan Nash says:

The code didn’t show, sorry! (I used code tags..?)

Find the line in menu.php that reads…

…and change it to…

…and it should work for you!

40. Dan Nash says:

Try again… it’s reading my PHP :)

Find the section…

“? unset($pages);”

…and change it to…

“?php unset($pages);”

And it should work. Hope this comment will!

41. Rhea says:

Hello! I love this theme, but am having a hard time getting little things to work. I want to add a “stumble it” button but following Stumble Upon’s directions, it’s not working. Also, I can’t get my ads to show up in my sidebars. I’ve tried using the built in ad widgets and I’ve tried adding the code directly to the pages…neither work. What am I doing wrong? I really love this, but I just can’t get it to behave how I want!

42. ned your help says:

43. Jimmy says:

Hi

Thank you for this theme which I want to use on my upcoming non-profit project. I am currently testing your theme on my site jimmy.gs. I have done away with the right sidebar to give space to the main sidebar. What i would like to see is to extent the width of the content portion from the present 505 px to around 650px and the sidebar 350px. I have altered the sidebar width to 390px and that works fine. But i ended up messing with the code when i tried to extent the content width. Also let me know if you mind placing theme credits in a post from footer.Any help will be highly appreciated.

44. Diyet says:

Very nice. thanks

45. Jyoti says:

Hi,

I love this template, and while uploading the CSS file, I get this error:

We were unable to save your template
    Please correct the error below, and submit your template again.
    Your template could not be parsed as it is not well-formed. Please make sure all XML elements are closed properly.
    XML error message: Content is not allowed in prolog.

Could you please help, I’d really like to use this template!

Jyoti.

46. Jessica says:

I love this theme, thank you! I just have one problem though, that I was hoping you could help me with.

I have the ReCaptcha plugin installed on my WordPress 2.8 blog and I was hoping that the ReCaptcha box could appear above the “Post” button in the comment section as opposed to below, as it is now. I tried to fix it by going into the comments.php section but what I added did not seem to work.

If anyone knows how to fix this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you =)